Location in the world
French Polynesia is composed of 118 islands divided into 5 archipelagoes located in the middle of the South Pacific Ocean. Spread over a surface larger than Europe, these 118 islands barely occupy 4,000 km² of land (less than 1/100 of the surface of France).
Of this surface the atoll of Rangiroa is the largest with a total of 1600 km². The entire island of Tahiti, the next largest at 1000 km², could fit into its huge lagoon.
250 000 yearly visitors, mostly from the U.S., Japan and Europe, are expected during the next decade.
Situation in the Pacific
|1 French Polynesia (TAHITI)||7 New Caledonia|
|2 Cook Islands and Samoan Islands||8 Melanesia|
|3 Wallis and Futuna||9 Micronesia|
|4 Fiji Islands||10 Galapagos|
|5 Easter Island||11 Hawaii|
|6 Vanuatu||12 Philippines|
The 5 archipelagoes of French Polynesia
- Society islands
- Winward islands : Tahiti, Moorea, Tetiaroa…
- Leeward islands : Bora Bora, Huahine, Raiatea
- Tuamotu islands : Rangiroa, Manihi, Tikehau, Fakarava…
- Marquesas islands : Hiva Oa, Nuku Hiva…
- Australs islands : Rapa, Tubuai…
- Gambier islands : Mangareva…