Dates and events are subject to change. For more details, check with your hotels or your host.
- “Tere ‘A’Ati”. Cultural and historical event in Rurutu featuring a long walk with stops at ancestral sites, the three villages and a visit to various homrs where guests receive this island’s traditional greeting, a shower of thrown talcum powder.
- 3rd PacificRock Festival A show with international artistes especially The rock star Marco MENDOZA at the “Le Méridien Tahiti”.
- Charles Bravi’s High Level Recital. The recital takes place at the Pirae city hall, in Tahiti.
- Chinese new year festivities. The French Polynesian Chinese community celebrates the beginning of the Year of the Water Dragon. All the cultural and folk wealth of the country will be highlighted during these festivities through especially in dancing, cooking, ancestral arts and rites.
- Moorea great Prize.Experienced golfers will compete against each other on the Temae golf course in Moorea. Website: www.mooreagreenpearlgolf.com
- 9th FIFO – Pacific International Documentary Film Festival Tahiti. Documentary film showings, Pacific television conference, digital encounters and round table discussions, international pitch, workshops for amateurs and professionals, “Short film night” at the Cultural Center “Te Fare Tauhiti Nui”. Tahiti Nui Marathon. Website: www.fifotahiti.org
- Young talents and St Valentin’s classical concert. At the Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti hotel, Arue. Website: www.conservatoire.pf
- 24th Tahiti-Moorea Marathon. Experts consider this marathon, which is held in Temae on the island of Moorea, as one of the finest in the world with over 600 entrants from many countries. First Aid, refreshment and sponge stations located every 2.5 km and Tahitian music will be provided along the different ways (42, 21 and 5 km), and at the finish line. This event also offers participants and the public the opportunity to enjoy the island’s exceptional setting.
- 5th Tahiti Festival Guitare. Encounter of all the guitar fans and professionals as well as the curious at the Le Meridien Tahiti hotel. Some of the world’s leading guitarists as well as experienced local guitarists will perform during these three nights.
- The coming of the Gospel. Commemorative celebration of the 215th anniversary arrival in Matavai – Tahiti, of the first English Protestant missionaries.
- Moorea Golf PRO/AM On the golf course of Moorea.
- Tahitian International Buillfish Tournament – TIBT. In Tahiti (Taina Marina, Punaauia), international deep-sea fishing competition preceding that of Raiatea.
- 3rd Raid “Vanira” A 15km foot race in the nature of Tahaa island. Departure from Ha’amene, arrival at Pahure stadium with musical entertainment, fruit tasting, and several stands of handicraft, catering and vanilla products.
- Great Groups Classical Concert At the Cultural Center “Te Fare Tauhiti Nui”, Papeete – Tahiti.
- 9th TAPS Junior Surfing Two days of juniors surfing competition of ages 16-18 at the Taapuna coral reef pass in Punaauia, Tahiti.
- 18th Taapuna Master Surfing. Big surfing competition for amateurs taking place over 4 days at the Taapuna reef pass (Punaauia). Competition in the categories of: surfing, body-boarding, “drop knee” and Stand-Up Paddling.
- 9th Tahiti Pearl Regatta. Sailing-race between Raiatea, Tahaa and Bora Bora, opened to all types of sailboats for all nationalities and combines ocean courses with lagoon competitions, accompanied with friendly and festive evenings on “motu” or in major hotels. Website: www.tahitipearlregatta.org.pf
- “MATARI’I I RARO” Festival. This festival marks the end of the period of abundance, the beginning of the Austral winter and the dry season when the soil produces less food and there is less to eat.
- 10th Ari’imatatini Race A single-man outrigger canoe race throughout the Tuamotu Archipelago, primarily on Rangiroa. At the same time, there will be a village crafts and traditional sport competitions (fruit carriers’ races, coconut leaf or “ni’au” weaving contests, local cooking competitions, etc.) to enliven these 2 days.
- Heiva or ‘Ori Tahiti Dance Schools On To’ata Square, Papeete – Tahiti. All the traditional dance schools of Tahiti, Moorea and other French Polynesian islands come together for this yearly show with expert performances in the traditional Polynesian arts (fire dancing, drums etc.). The participants range from the ages of 3 to 70 years old, making for a dynamic and convivial setting as these budding artists shine, demonstrating the essence of Polynesian “joie de vivre”.
- “TIFAIFAI” Exhibition A Papeete City Hall exhibition of Polynesian design patchwork sewn bed and cushion covers and wall hangings.
- 35th Marquesas Islands Exhibition. Exhibition and sale of artisan creations from the Marquesas Islands in the Aora’i Tinihau Hall at Pirae, Tahiti.
- Great Harmony Concert. At the former French Polynesia Hospital.
- Stand Up Paddle World Tour – Sapinus Pro. A World Championship Tour in Tahiti that showcases the very best athletes in the world battling it out in the most challenging, spectacular and awe-inspiring conditions, in Punaauia, Tahiti. Website: www.standupworldtour.com
- 130th Heiva I Tahiti (Cultural Heiva). The largest cultural festival in all of Tahiti taking place at beautiful To’ata Square in Papeete, Tahiti. This year’s Heiva will feature the biggest-ever assembly of dance troupes. In addition to the dance competitions there are sporting events, cultural demonstrations, cuisine and artisans.
Full 2011 program
- The transit of Venus This is an exceptionally rare event, which happens in pairs only once a century. The event will be celebrated at Venus point through a number of organized activities, such as a dance show, exhibitions and observation of Venus…). Website: www.venus-tahiti2012.org.pf
- Tahiti Vanilla Week Come and discover or rediscover the Tahiti Vanilla and its by-products, learn about how vanilla is produced, prepared and transformed. Rejoin the agents of the vanilla channels at the French Polynesia’s Assembly Hall in Taraho’i, Papeete, as well as in participating restaurants and hotels. The public, the agribusiness and cosmetic professionals, the researchers or students will be able to appreciate the wealth of the world’s highest quality vanilla, its unique flavor and its various uses. Website: www.vanilledetahiti.com
- Prize Winners’ Classical Concert At the Pirae city hall, Tahiti.
- Tahiti Toa Va’a A race of 6-paddler outrigger canoes over a course including the towns located between Tautira and Papeete in Tahiti. The race starts in the morning on the beach at Tautira, a 62 km course along the east coast, and finishes in the Papeete channel at the end of the day. Website: www.tahiti-toavaa.com
- The “AITOMAN” triathlon on the sacred island. Two kilometers swimming, 96km by bike and 20km running at Uturoa on Raiatea.
- Gala party of French Polynesia artistic conservatory ” TE FARE UPA RAU “ On To’ata Square, Papeete – Tahiti.
- 7th Tahiti – Moorea Sailing Rendez-vous(TMS). Designed as an interactive event between tourists, sailors and residents, the TMS takes place over three days: one day in Tahiti with welcoming events, a day of sailing rally and one Polynesian day on Tahiti’s sister Moorea with a variety of Polynesian-style competitions, such as outrigger canoe races, fruit carrying races, stone lifting, coconut husking contest, etc. Website: www.latitude38.com
- 6th Taputapuatea Festival. Named “Te Ana Iva Pu Fe’e Ma’ohi Tere Moana”, which means “The Octopus’ Nine Tentacles that Glide on the Ocean”, this event traces the history of Polynesian migrations and the uniting of South Pacific islands to Raiatea, the sacred island, by presenting various ceremonies and ancestral customs.
- HEIVA “RIMA’I“ A big artisan’s exhibition organized by the committee “Tahiti ite Rima rau” in the Aora’i Tinihau Hall at Pirae (Tahiti), using traditional and local handicraft as theme, bringing together artisans from French Polynesia’s five archipelagos.
- 5th ‘Ukulele Festival. This musical contest in Tahiti’s Commune of Hitia’a, on the East coast, is open to all musicians at all levels.
- 29th Tahiti International Golf Open The Olivier Bréaud International Golf Course in ‘Atimaono, Papara, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) from Papeete (Tahiti), hosts the annual Tahiti International Golf Open, a stop on the Pacific Tour organized by the Australian PGA and supported by the Polynesian Golf Federation.
- Heiva Tu’aro Ma’ohi This contest allows athletes from French Polynesia’s five archipelagos, and sometimes from the entire Pacific region, to demonstrate their talents in ancient Polynesian sports. Workshops, demonstrations and initiation classes are on the program. The aim of the event is to develop traditional sports and encourage and recruit younger generations into these ancient Polynesian sports.
- Heiva Va’a i Tahiti Great outrigger canoe racing in Papeete Harbor and the channel between Tahiti and Moorea featuring nearly 1,500 men and women paddlers, all dressed in traditional pareos and flower head crowns. These top athletes compete in the junior, senior and veteran categories in one paddler, three-paddler, six-paddler and 16-paddler canoes.
- 25th “Te Aito Va’a“. One-day outrigger canoe race for individual paddlers over approximately 10 kms (6 miles). The best 100 paddlers qualify for the “Super Aito” race.
- Heiva i Bora Bora The annual singing, dance and traditional sports competition along with crafts demonstrations at Moto’i Place in Vaitape. Website: www.borabora-tourisme.com
- Te Vai ari’i Marathon: The Super Aito Va’a Three days of outrigger canoe races for individual paddlers featuring the Top 100 qualified paddlers from the “Te Aito” race. The Super Aito races cover distances of 5, 10, 15 and 20 kms (3, 6, 9 and 12 miles).
- Air Tahiti Nui / Von Zipper Trials. Qualifying surf competition of Teahupoo at Tahiti’s peninsula, prior to the famous Billabong Pro that brings together foreign and local surf pros.
- BILLABONG PRO SURFING An international competition amongst the world’s best surfers on Teahupoo’s mythical waves of Tahiti’s peninsula.
- 11th raid Painapo On Moorea, a 20-km foot race for experienced runners and 8-km foot race for amateurs, in the mountain for three-person teams (men, women or mixed).
- World Tourism Day This day is designated to celebrate the tourism in the world, it takes place in Tahiti and Her Islands. Website: www.tahiti-tourisme.pf
- 10th Austral Island Exhibition Exhibition and sale of artisan creations organized by the Organizer Committee of Handicraft Exhibitions from the Austral Islands in the French Polynesia Assembly’s exhibit hall, Papeete.
- 21st Hawaiki Nui Va’a The traditional “va’a”, or outrigger canoe, race of more than 100 canoes between the Leeward Islands of Huahine, Raiatea, Tahaa and Bora Bora. The finish line is foreseen on the beach of Matira Point (Bora Bora). Website: www.ftvaa.pf
- 6th Monoï Here, Week of monoï Exposition stands – sales, conferences, massages, demonstrations, film projections, documentaries, etc. at the “Maison de la Culture” Cultural Centre. Website: www.monoiaddict.com
- “Matari’i i Ni’a Festival In Tahiti, Moorea, Huahine and Raiatea. Day return in abundance under the sign of the constellation Pleiades. A festival focusing on products from the land and sea and activities by men and women. For more informations: Matari’i i Ni’a
- 8th “HURA TAPAIRU” Traditional dance competition at the Cultural Center “Te Fare Tauhiti Nui” in Papeete. For more informations: Hura Tapairu
- 50th Edition of Tiare days This event – which is focused on the theme: “wreaths and bunches of tiare Tahiti” – is a special tribute to Tahiti’s national emblematic flower, the tiare Tahiti. There will be various events related to the tiare flower, such as competitive decorations in Papeete’s businesses and public institutions. More informations about Tiare.
GIE Tahiti Tourisme